Sunday, September 7, 2014

This past week was pretty eventful.  Monday we had off for labor day. In parasitology 2 lab we started working through case based material which was kind of fun. We also had to find giardia cysts on a microscope and I found one right off the bat, which was exciting because I really struggled with it last semester. We also got cute temporary tattoos that say 'I found giardia' and has a cute trophozoite on it. I'm saving it for a special occasion. Also got to start ultrasounding our mares. The first horse I brought in was a 17 hand thoroughbred, which was stupid because I couldn't reach anything. I ended up seeing the whole uterus and the right ovary, but I couldn't reach the left with the probe.
We were supposed to have a cookout for bovine practitioners on Tuesday but it was raining that more so they canceled it. Ironically it stopped raining and was a beautiful afternoon. It was good though because I needed to study for pharmacology and bacteriology quizzes the next day. I did ok on the quizzes, but definitely didn't study enough. I did much better on the short answer than I did on the matching for bacteriology. Multiple choice stuff like that always throws me off.
Wednesday we had orientation for the state fair birthing center. I'm going to help out at tulsa in a few weeks. The orientation was really long, kept repeating the same things over and over, and seemed more geared to undergrads. Pretty much a waste of time. We had a VBMA meeting afterwards about communications. It was interesting, but nothing we haven't been harped on in our classes so far.
Thursday I had my anesthesia lab for intro to clinics and we had to place catheters in rubber dog legs. It was completely unrealistic, but I think the lab was more about learning techniques than anything. Then we went over to surgery and they weren't supposed to have any surguiries going on, but they happened to have an emergency colic surgery and I just so happened to be the only equine person who brought scrubs so I got to watch the end of the surgery and help the anesthesia student and technician recover the horse. It was kind of fun. Afterwards, I went back over to the school for a SCAVMA meeting. That was another waste of time because it was totally geared for first years, but we got free fuzzys tacos for dinner.
Friday I only had morning classes so I just came home and relaxed and watched tv. Saturday it rained all day so I didn't get to ride. Then, I had to work at ICU Saturday night. It was relatively busy and I was exhausted when I came home this morning.  I have a signs and symptoms quiz tomorrow.  Not sure what it's going to be like so I should probably get to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment