Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Three days in to 3rd year and I'm exhausted. I forgot what it's like to be out of the house all day long. Scheduling for third year has been awful. They changed our schedules from block to regular, all semester long classes and it has wrecked havoc on the elective schedules. I've ended up dropping both the small animal and equine radiology electives because of conflicts. It'll be nice to only take 18 hours, but surgery is definitely taking more time than I had anticipated.
Monday we were out of class at 2 so I did elliptical and lifted weights with a friend. Yesterday we got out at noon so we went to a local store and got some new scrubs and a surgery cap. I'm so excited about these scrubs because they are so comfortable! Then we ran 3 miles.
Today we had class until noon then had to be at junior surgery for orientation. They showed us how to gown and glove, how to fold and wrap stuff, drape for surgery, reviewed anesthesia equipment (we have a new anesthesiologist and she is super awesome!), learned how to do QATS (quick assessment tests), and practiced suturing. Luckily I've been down to junior surgery and worked at a decent clinic before so most of it was pretty much review. It took about 4 hours and I'm definitely a little tired. This Friday some people have their first anesthesia or assistant surgeon assignments. Luckily I don't have mine until sept 4th but it would be nice to get it out of the way since our first test is next Friday and the Friday after that is our surgery lecture final. When we do we have to come in the day before between 4 and 7pm and do our QATS, then come in again at 9pm and walk and feed, then come in again at 7am and walk. I think I might try to get my anesthesia partner to do the 9pm walking and I'll do the 7am walking so I don't have to stick around Stillwater that late.
I was in a group with the girl I'm going to be doing surgery on the cadavers with and while I thought she would be kinda cool, she actually was totally unprepared so I'm a little nervous about that. Hopefully she steps up her hand before next Wednesday and Thursday when we practice neutering, celiotomy, gastropexy, spay, and chest tube insertion. Better get to studying...

No comments:

Post a Comment