Sunday, February 22, 2015

Just to add to the fun last week, when I got home Tuesday afternoon it started sleeting so I got the horses in their stalls to feed them. About 5 min later one started coughing and I looked at her and she was showing classic choke signs: swallowing constantly, drool, etc... I called local vets to come out but no one could so I had no choice but to call OSU. Luckily I know one of the equine residents and called her to see if there was anything they could possibly do since they were technically closed because of the ehv-1 quarantine. She called the on call rest and we decided to just have him do a farm call and tube her. By the time I was off the phone green goo was coming out of her nostrils. I gave her some ace iv to help her relax until he could get there.
Right before he pulled up she was laying laterally in the stall and straining. The vet immediately thought colic the way she was acting but once he saw her nose realized I was probably right. He sedated with xylazine and gave some buscopan to relax the smooth muscles in her esophagus as well as an NSAID. He tubed her and got some reflux out and she immediately felt better.
We started her on banamine BID for 3 days and sulfa abx BID for 10 days just in case she aspirated. She gets her feed soaked into a mash and her hay in water and can't go out for a few weeks, but she is doing really well. Stall cleaning isn't exactly what I want to spend my free time doing and she is really disliking being away from the boys as well as oral meds, but it could be worse.
School wise could be better. The first 2 tests of the semester I rocked but the next 2 were very bad. I pretty much threw myself a pity party when I found out. Hoping I get my shit together and do better.
My workout buddy and I decided to start doing elliptical and weight lifting Tuesday and Thursdays instead of yogalatis. While I really enjoy it, it was no fun getting up so early and I was exhausted the whole day. Other than that, I can't think of anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment