Thursday, January 22, 2015

Umm, it's been a while....

Not too many exciting things happened over break. I went to a clinic I had shadowed at in undergrad and had a lot of fun. We saw some routine vaccines and I got to practice doing physicals, and actually found a little mass on one, run some fecals (which were all boring not showing evidence of parasite infections), pull some blood from a cat, and look at and interpret a bunch of blood work, which was perfect timing since since I had just got done with clinical pathology. I hung out at my parents' house a couple times, too. My nephew is really getting attached to me and is such a cutie. I also got together with an old friend and got to see an enuleation at an equine practice where she works.
I worked at the school for overnights quite a bit, which it was nice to get some money. I also helped collect urine at a quarter horse show and it made me really miss showing. Hopefully I get to some this summer.
Classes this semester are unbearable. We are taking hemolymph/oncology, radiology, anesthesiology, Food safety/zoonotic diseases, virology, pharmacology 2 for core and my electives are intro to beef production (which is basically an animal science class), small ruminant (which I had high hopes for, but not too excited about the 3-5 lectures on Thursday afternoons), and advanced food animal techniques which should actually be pretty awesome, but we only have it 6 times and haven't had it yet. So, another 20 hour semester. I've really tried to stay on track for studying and going over lectures the evening of when I get home. I think it helped in anesthesia lab today so hopefully it will help for the tests.
Last weekend a friend and I went to College Station for an equine wet lab. We left Friday around noon, got stuck in a ton of traffic in Fort Worth, and finally made it to the hotel a little after 9... long drive. We went for a quick run on the fancy hotel treadmills and went to bed. We had to be the vet school at 7:15 so we spent more time driving than we did at the hotel. We walked around the large animal hospital and wow... it was amazing, and huge, and sooo nice. Super jealous. Our first wet lab was laceration repair and since we haven't learned any suture pattern it was way over our head since it was mainly practicing what you already knew. Second we had abdominal exploratory and got to see what you'd see and do in a colic surgery which was pretty neat. Then, we had farrier lab which I was expecting to be my least favorite, but turned out to be the neatest. We got to actually trim a hoof and pretty much work one on one with a farrier to get our technique right. I have so much respect for farriers now. I have never sweat so much in my life, my legs were shaking and had bruises, and my ab and back muscles were killing me. Lastly we had a field anesthesia where we learned how to tie up a horse for field castration, as well as propping up for leg laceration repair. We had a mediocre lunch, but a hilarious speaker that works in Lamesa that offered anyone to come extern there. That might be a possibility next summer. We finally left around 3 and I got home about 11 so traffic wasn't as bad.
Coincidentally my farrier came out Sunday and trimmed my horses' feet. Monday it was so nice so I rode 2 of the horses. Tuesday I started doing yogalates again and I forgot how it made every muscle sore in my body. My friend and I have continued running from last semester and we can run jog slowly for 30 minutes straight. Every one might lap us, but we can run a lot longer than they can. Hopefully running and yogalates combined will help me lose some weight.
We have our first meeting of the semester tonight for VBMA, but the crappy thing is the same person is doing a mandatory 2nd year lecture on finance for personal and professional management Friday from noon to 5... yay, two long days in a row :/.
Well, I guess that's it for now. Hopefully I can blog more than once I month.

No comments:

Post a Comment