Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Reflux queen

So, it's been a while... I can't say that I've been super busy. I have definitely been enjoying the summer break and started taking full advantage of being lazy once I figured out how again. Been working a few days a week at the ICU, but I only work 3 days in July because they finally hired enough overnight techs: 3, 4, and 11th. One of the new girls is pretty cool and I'll miss working with her while she was training. She's wanting to apply here for vet school and trying to gain instate residency and its been fun mentoring her on vet school stuff. It's also been nice getting to know a few more students in my class and in the third year class a little better, too. When you're with someone for over 8 hours during the middle of the night the filters really turn off and you get to know people really well, really fast.
Overnights the past couple of nights has been kinda crazy. An equine was colicing and the owner didn't have enough money to go to surgery so we had to reflux him every 1 to 2 hours. What that means is we basically help the horse vomit (since they can't naturally do it) through a tube in it's nose that goes to it's stomach with the use of a giant syringe to create suction then let the reflux drain into a bucket. You continue to suck, drain, repeat from anywhere to several minutes to several hours, sometimes getting over 10 liters of fluid per reflux. This isn't an extremely 'fun' task, my hands really don't smell pleasent, and there are definitely some pinched nerves in my neck, but I wouldn't rather do anything else for my job. There have been a few more colics that ran into weird complications, a few horses with eye problems with sub palpebral lavages which allow us to essentially give eye drops without having to worry about missing the eye, and tons of goat babies.
Sometime in July I plan on going to my parent's house and halter breaking the mustang girls, getting coggins on them, and getting them sold. So if you know anyone who wants one or both for a project or friend for their horse they will be cheap and are very easy keepers.
We got a little fire pit and when we have a decently cool non windy evening its been really nice for the hubs and I to drink a couple beers and unwind, watching the pretty flames. Well, I guess that's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment